Thursday, October 1, 2009

Onion Attack


I'm on this new cooking kick. I've long been an admirer of all things food and I am FINALLY inspired to start making it myself. So, last night I decided to make Julia Child's French Onion soup. I learned a couple of valuable lessons from this adventure:
  1. Read the recipe BEFORE you buy all the ingredients. Only after I got home did I realize the cook time was 2 hours. Good to know. We ate a very late dinner.
  2. The puppy is also allergic to onions. After cutting three pounds of big yellow onions I thought she was going to make a run for it off the balcony. She sneezed for a good 30 minutes straight.
  3. I'm extremely anal about following recipes exactly. I can't eyeball anything. If they had a measuring spoon that equaled a "pinch" I would buy it. Is it a big pinch or a little pinch?
  4. This causes kitchen conflict with Gene who scoffs at recipes. He came home and immediately starting throwing things in to my beloved pot of soup. He also objected to my use of fat-free beef stock. They didn't specify the type of stock in the recipe, how was I to know? See above.
  5. The soup tasted much better after Gene tinkered with it. This irritated me immensely.
  6. After it was all said it done it came out pretty good. Even Gene said it was really good, and he normally only likes food that he cooks. I consider this a success.
  7. I'm pretty sure my house is going to smell like onions for a week.
If you would like to try the recipe you can find it here, or just google it. Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment