Tuesday, October 13, 2009

An Ode to The Brave Little Toaster



So, while I was Facebook slacking this morning, I came across a post about one of my favorite childhood movies, The Brave Little Toaster. To my surprise, after taking a quick snap-poll of my friends, I realized that most people I knew had not seen this movie. WHAT?! It's a seriously cute movie, with somewhat dark, foreboding undertones about advances in technology, but whatever, it is a damn cute movie. It all centers around a toaster, "Toaster," a lamp, "Lampy," an electronic blanket and my personal favorite, "Blanky," "Radio" (I think you get the idea), and a grumpy vacuum cleaner "Kirby." They all set out on an adventure to find their owner after they are forgotten in a house that has been put up for sale. A lot of adventures ensue along the way and it is a very entertaining movie. I don't want to spoil it because if you haven't seen it you really should. All I will say is that my love for this movie as a child might have something to do with why I have a hard time throwing things away..

Another favorite? Return to Oz. Who could ever forget the Wheelers? The Wheelers still scare the heck out of me today; they are evil characters with wheels for hands and feet, this movie's version of flying monkeys. This is a MUCH darker movie than the Wizard of Oz and much more similar to the books, even though it's a combination of Ozma of Oz and the Marvelous Land of Oz. No ruby slippers (in the book they were silver slippers, bummer) in this version. Instead there's a mental hospital, Jack Pumpkinhead, and a taxidermied moose head strapped to a couch. A strange but really enjoyable movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment