Tuesday, November 3, 2009

One year..


I'm sitting here trying to figure out exactly what I want to say to commemorate this monumental occasion. It's been one year since President Obama was elected as the first African American president. One year since all of the chaos, crazy shenanigans, and not being able to sleep from all the excitement of election day. I know there will always be questions such as, "Is this really the change we hoped for? Is he doing enough?" But I don't care about any of that right now.

A year ago was much more than the story of one extraordinary man who defied all the odds to become the leader of the United States; it was the story of hundreds of thousands of people who came together to demand change and devoted their lives to fulfilling that goal. I met more wonderful people on the campaign trail than in any other point in my life. I will be forever grateful to President Obama for introducing me to such wonderful people. As our state director often said, there are few times in life when you find yourself surrounded with people who share the same ideals, goals, and hopes that you do. From the outside, people (eh-hem, Republicans) might view it as a cult mentality or simply a bunch of kids doing the "hip" thing and working for then-Senator Obama. I guarantee you there is nothing "hip" about working 14+ hour days, 7 days a week. Regardless of your politics, you can't deny the dedication and sacrifice shown by the thousands of staffers and volunteers who worked tirelessly for change.


There are so many memories, important life lessons, and just overall crazy times I will forever hold in my heart. The campaign was a time of immense personal growth for me, it showed me what I could do and what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. The campaign forced me out of my comfort zone and I will be forever grateful. Because of the extreme working conditions, my fellow staffers instantly became family and although I don't speak to most of them as often as I should, I would drop anything in a heartbeat if they needed it.

I will always be proud to carry the title, Obama Field Organizer/Volunteer Coordinator, and I am blessed that I met so many people who share the same badge. Congratulations to you all. Team Granola forever!
Pictures (from top): Senator Obama and me after the debate in Austin; County Convention in Austin; View from our office in Clarksburg, WV; Taking down the West Virginia Headquarters sign after our loss; Team Granola at the Democratic National Convention.

No comments:

Post a Comment